Food & Wine Magazine has released a list of top picnic spots in the America in their online article “Outstanding Picnic Spots”. Their criteria was the spot has to be surrounded by amazing scenery, be central to great hiking/walking trails, be food accessible/friendly and be recommended by a celebrity chef.
The first spot mentioned within the article is Aspen’s White River National Forest. Jim Strickbine, the manager of the Butcher’s Block store in Aspen suggests taking off from your Aspen luxury vacation rental and head up highway 82 toward Independence Pass. Once there you can take either a leisurely hike up the Weller Lake Trail or an adventurous/more strenuous kike up Lost Man Trail.
It all depends on what you are looking for when choosing which path to follow. For instance, if you want to prepare a feast with wine, gourmet foods and more, the easier hike is probably your best bet.
Important Tips for your Picnic
- Head into town prior to taking off on you picnic adventure and grab some grub. At the City Market, Clark’s Market or Roxy’s Market, or the Butcher’s Block you’ll find all you need including bread, cheese, deli sandwiches, wine and more.
- Dare to make your picnic unlike any you have ever put together! Choose specialty cheeses & meets, organic fruits and veggies, fresh juice and unbelievable wines.
- Don’t forget blankets for comfort and protection for your food.
- Napkins are a must! There is nothing worse than getting to your destination and having to use leaves or your pant legs to clean your hands and mouths.
- Utensils, utensils! Believe it or not, many people forget to bring utensils along and have to find creative ways to spread cheese, cut key items and more. Also, if you are bringing wine or beer along, don’t forget an opener. This is another common item left behind or forgotten.
- Bring plenty of water, especially if you are going to drink alcohol. This is quite important as you will probably be hiking quite a bit. Staying hydrated in nature is a key for survival in case you get lost or your hike takes longer than expected.
Picnics have become somewhat of a lost art, so while enjoying your Aspen vacation why not revive it! You really can’t go wrong in how you organize it for your family, spouse or friends. Once you get out in nature and enjoy delicious foods and unforgettable company you may find yourself addicted to picnicking!